Author Topic: United States of Tara  (Read 829 times)

experimental

• Personal Text
    I'm new here! :)
United States of Tara
« on: April 09, 2016, 07:57:38 PM »
have you guys actually watched it and what do you think?

i avoided it when it was on TV. but now that i've started watching it it's better than i expected. but i think i'd have had a much harder time earlier in my journey when the conflict between parts were worse and when i couldn't articulate how hard it is to have that internal noise, to keep the front maintained all the time and having trouble with all the parts wanting to be the "real me" or the "real version of what matters".

i find the treatment of DID to be more logical and better than expected. some bits are a bit iffy though and didn't sit well with me, but i am mostly able to just watch it. i can watch it as a multiple, which is fun! instead of say, "this is a show about a woman with multiple personalities, and i am watching it"... i find that it sticks together well enough for me to go "this is them and this is us watching it!"

i have to take a mental distance to the therapist though heh i dont like her too much
and i keep wanting to send her tips on how to be better to one another

i like how it celebrates all parts. like even the trouble she lands in, it's all kind of ok. that's a nice relief. i find it heartwarming and the less sappy ones of us find it a relief.
the cohesion and warmth despite everything seems a bit of a stretch tho, but i like it.
do wish some parts were more dysfunctional lol, but there's enough for me to fill in the blanks and feel ok about it.

experimental

• Personal Text
    I'm new here! :)
Re: United States of Tara
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 01:58:55 AM »
also i try to consider some bits as internal lol, if it helps to make it more cohesive. considering more than 1 can be on-screen at the same time you can pretty much believe that any of it is internal ;)