Author Topic: I have a feather-baby!  (Read 1154 times)

Musie

• Personal Text
    Breathe, hope, live
I have a feather-baby!
« on: March 26, 2016, 07:49:32 AM »
So last year, a close friend of mine had to rehome her parrot, and I was lucky/blessed enough to be able to offer him a home!

Needless to say, life hasn't been the same since... but in a good way. :D

He is a very good grounding "tool" for me... not just because he responds to me vocally, but because he requires about the same level of intellectual care/stimulation as a 4 or 5 year old child. I've been learning a lot about that... teaching him words and phrases, making games for him to play, creating toys for him to play with, etc.

I definitely wouldn't say he's a "therapy animal" at least in the typical sense, because he picks up on how I feel and will mirror it back to me... which is not good when I'm angry or upset... but it's good because it provides me with that mirror, and will be able to change my actions accordingly, even if it means going to take a "timeout" for a bit to calm self down or similar.  So in that sense, he is a therapy animal.

I'd always wanted a bird, but I didn't think it would ever happen -- at least, not for awhile -- because the start-up costs are fairly steep.  But I am so thankful that I was able to give him a new home -- I helped my friend out, cuz she's able to check in with me and see how he's doing, but I also had the chance to adopt a bird without having to pay a huge lot for a good cage, etc.  And he's been a good companion so far.

;D
Just breathe...
...just be.

missatoo

• Personal Text
    Happy to be back!
Re: I have a feather-baby!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 02:05:39 AM »
nice to see you. animals are definitely therapeutic. I know mine are! I am sure you are also a great 'mom'.
Truths needing to be heard but maybe not fact.

experimental

• Personal Text
    I'm new here! :)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 03:11:20 AM »
Yay! :)

Musie

• Personal Text
    Breathe, hope, live
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 01:08:51 PM »
Thanks, missatoo -- nice to be back!  I've missed everyone here...

He really is a hilarious little guy. :) And he is therapeutic, just like I said, not like your typical "therapy animal." (Like our cat, he'll come and snuggle with me when I'm upset.)

I feel like I live in a zoo now and all I have is a cat, a bird, and a husband... well, and all of my internal world... lol. ;D
Just breathe...
...just be.

Ofelia

• Personal Text
    I dont fall because Im weak I fall because Im free
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 06:12:11 AM »
That is wonderful, I have never had a parrot but know of people who have and they are such characters and def. part of the family.
Did you see the video on youtube about the parrot who gets really excited when his human friend destroys his cage? It is hillarious.
The video is actually called "Parrot goes off on his owner for destroying his cage" but the parrot doesnt go off on his owner at all, I see the parrot letting all his rage toward being locked up in the cage out.

Enjoy your little guy...
I am beginning to rest in the majesty of my essential nature. Perhaps I need not ‘heal’ my experience, but hold it, and welcome it into the crucible of aliveness.
- Matt Licata